The CA Gamma chapter is following LA Public Health Guidelines to ensure that our members remain safe and healthy. These are unprecedented times, but our members have figured out creative ways to remain connected!
What have our Pi Phi's been up to during quarantine?
- Virtual Sisterhood Events: Since our members were sent home back in March of 2020, we have put together virtual sisterhood events so we could all stay in touch while at home! So far, we have done zoom yoga workouts, meditation sessions, and cooking classes. Our very own house chef, Walter, even hosted a virtual cooking class where he taught our angels how to make one of our favorite meals!
- Social Distanced Hangouts: A group of our members who remained in Los Angeles over quarantine, decided to safely meet up over the summer for a 6 feet apart, socially distanced outdoors picnic!
- Internships/Jobs: While the pandemic has put a lot of plans on hold, many of our angels have taken advantage of virtual internship/job opportunities. One of our members, Joelle Tenderich, worked for a biotech company called Guardant Health in the Bay Area where she assembled Covid-19 test kits, she worked with a team to build 10,000 kits a day!
- Zoom Study Sessions: Usually our angels are able to gather and study together at the Pi Phi house, but with the chapter facility closed for the end of Spring 2020 and all of Fall 2020 semester, our girls have done zoom study sessions as a way to still academically support one another safely.
- Roommates: A lot of our sisters have off campus apartment or houses together! This is great because it allows some of our members to still be close to one another while safely residing under the same roof.
We know how tough these times are right now, so our chapter is offering different status options to best fit our members' needs and situations during the pandemic.
Remote Student Status: For a reduced price, members are able to remain an active member and participate in any remote meetings and sisterhood events. Those on remote student status will have no access to the house or in person meetings or events (if there are any). Remote members participate in recruitment, and are eligible to be Bigs.
Meal Plan/House Plan: Those on this plan are an active member and have limited access to the house (first floor and patio area) for meals (Lunch M-F, Dinner M-Th, including to- go meals and late plates) and for studying or meetings. They participate in remote meetings and events, plus could attend in person meetings or events (if any). These members participate in recruitment and are eligible to be Bigs. All social distancing guidelines must be followed.
Undergraduate Alumna Status: Any member who will not be enrolled at USC during the spring semester, should submit university confirmation of that, and will automatically be placed on UAS. Members who are enrolled in school, but who feel they meet the qualifications for UAS (experiencing unforeseen and extreme financial issues, health reasons, etc) must fill out an application for UAS status. The application is reviewed by AAC and the national office for approval. If approved, the member is considered an alumni. If their situation changes, they can request to become an active member again.
After our chapter facility was closed for half of the Spring 2020 semester and all of Fall 2020, we are excited to announce that the Ca Gamma Pi Phi Chapter Facility will be OPEN for the Spring 2021 semester! Those on the Meal Plan/House Plan will have access to the house for meals, studying, or meetings. We cannot wait to safely welcome our angels home starting January 15th.